Beth Abraham Orthodox Synagogue

Today's Date

29 Sivan 5777

You are here: About Us Our Shul

Our Shul

E-mail Print PDF

01-Our-ShulBeth Abraham Synagogue is located on 145 York Street in Bangor, Maine. The shul was built in 1985 replacing the original synagogue that was built in 1932 and destroyed by fire in 1932. The shul has a social hall, a Judaic library and a full kosher kitchen. The Mechitza, certified kosher according to the ruling of Rabbi Mosher Feinstein, separates men and women. The facility is handicap accessible. We daven nusach sfard. Shabbos services are always followed by a sit down Kiddush for all who attend.

Our History

E-mail Print PDF
03-OUR-HISTORY1840’S A handful of sphardic Jews were scattered throughout greater Bangor.

1849 Influx of several Jewish families from Germany. Ahavas Achim , the first Jewish congregation and cemetery was founded.

1856 The congregants moved away or assimilated.

1880’s Bangor became home to Jews who were escaping the Pogroms of Russia and Eastern Europe.

1888 The Beth Israel Society was founded.

1897 Cornerstone of the first shul in Maine was laid.

1897 to 1907 Influx of immigrants from Russia. They were determined to maintain an Orthodox way of life in Bangor.

1902 Ten men started Congregation Beth Abraham. Rooms were rented in house to devein on holidays.

1904 The largest immigration of Russian Jews arrived in Bangor due to the Russ-Japanese War and Jews refusal to serve in the Czar’s army.

1905 The house was too small too accommodate the members.

1907 The first “Russishe” Shul was established on Carr Street in a building built a few years earlier. The building was moved so that it faced east.

The men bought land on Mt. Hope Avenue

Our Library

E-mail Print PDF
04-OUR-LIBRARYCongregation Beth Abraham has a well stocked library which was generously donated by the Striar Family.   The collection contains The Encyclopedia Judaica and hundreds of classic Jewish texts and prayer books.

CHEVRA KADISHA

E-mail Print PDF

05-CHEVRA-KADISHAThe origin of “CHEVRA KADISHA” which literally means “holy society” stems from the Talmud some 1600 years ago. When a Jew in the community would die, it was the obligation and responsibility of each and everyone in the community to care for the deceased. With the formation of the CHEVRA KADISHA, however, the rest of the community became exempt, since the CHEVRA assumed the sole responsibility for preparing the deceased for the final resting place.

As years passed by it became the custom that children of the CHEVRA would replace their fathers as members of this society when their fathers passed away.

The CHEVRA KADISHA is also referred to as the “CHEVRAS G’MILUS CHESED VE’EMES,” the society that deals with kindness and truth for this is a true act of kindness since those who perform this duty do it without any ulterior motive.

Today in many cities the CHEVRA KADISHA has become somewhat commercialized. Here in Bangor, however, those women and men who are members of the CHEVRA still perform their most holy duty with “chesed shel-emes,”  “ a kindness of truth.”

Each spring, on the anniversary  of Moshe Rabenu’s death, members of Congregation Beth Abraham hold a community dinner to honor members of the CHEVRA KADISHA.

Contact Us

E-mail Print PDF

contact_us
BETH ABRAHAM SYNAGOGUE

145 York Street
Bangor, Maine 04401
Phone 207-947-0876

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it